With a world of graphics more and more and with the dominance of the Internet where everyone is competing for attention, graphic design has become one of the professions and important areas, where business owners realized the great importance of the visual identity of their projects because the good logo and distinctive designs are able to improve jobs by attracting customers while bad designs from It can make existing customers move away and turn their attention to competitors.
In the Arab world in particular and amid the rapid spread of the Internet and playing a bigger and bigger role in our daily lives, the profession of graphic design has become so important that some universities have begun to teach it as a university major (though many see it as an art that should not be converted to study). So in this topic we will discuss what you need to start in the world of graphic design and the advantages and disadvantages of the field in general.
What do you need to start working in design as a freelancer
For some it may seem relatively easy, but if you want to enter the world of design you will need a lot of things ranging from expertise in addition to suitable hardware and of course expensive software as well. Generally, you will need:
- Some knowledge of drawing, color consistency and fashion trend in general (in recent years flat designs have taken over almost entirely).
- A somewhat artistic sense allows for aesthetic appreciation of the work and being good and proportionate to what was requested by the customer.
- Excellent knowledge of the most important graphic design programs, especially the Adobe CC suite such as Photoshop, Illustrator and sometimes InDesign.
- A desktop or laptop computer with the ability to run these programs without problems or slowdowns and preferably uses an SSD storage to reduce time loss.
- Have a license to use purchase design software or sign up for Adobe Creative Cloud (it is expensive for anyone who wants to start learning).
- Subscribe to sites selling pictures and graphics or learn at least free sites to take advantage of their content.
- Ability to spend long and continuous times to complete designs that take time.
- Accounts on social media platforms and sites like Behance to showcase your experiences and market yourself to new customers.
- Extras that can be useful, such as a high-sensitivity mouse with adjustable sensitivity or a design tablet (don’t mix it with smart tablets, it’s quite different).
Of course, design is primarily a technical field, above all else, so giving pre-defined requirements is not easy. However, regardless of the technical aspect, design work needs the ability of listening and understanding to know what the client wants. The taste and demands of the client are what determine the success of the work here.
How long will you need to prove yourself in graphic design?
While design is an artistic field of excellence, it has a continuous learning curve in reality, and even after decades of practice, designers can still learn more and develop their designs and work. So self-assertion in design is usually long-term, and it is rare for a designer to emerge as a distinguished artist a few years before continuous effort, training and work.Practices need constant refinement and what is common constantly changes all the time and the designer must keep up with the result.
If you don’t already have a design story, the field will be really difficult for you to enter.In addition to the difficulty of learning and it usually takes a few months at the very least possible (often need years of practice before you are considered a really good designer) it is one of the most competitive areas and find opportunities It can be very difficult, frustrating many novice designers and pushing them to leave the field completely.
What are the advantages of graphic design?
While it is a relatively tough field, the graphic design has undoubtedly positive aspects, which makes it very attractive to many people and loved them. These features include:
- It serves as a gateway for creative energies and an outlet for self-expression.
- It is usually satisfactory because its results are easily visible and unlike many others.
- For some, it is not really stressful because many treat it as a hobby in the first place.
- He has plenty of room for improvement and progress with time and there is always something new to learn.
What are the disadvantages of graphic design?
In contrast to the positive aspects, there are in fact many obstacles and drawbacks that stand in the way of those who want to enter the field of design and hinder their footsteps and include:
- Friends, relatives and others rarely deal with design as a profession, which makes many look inferior and unjustified to designers.
- The design approach to the hobby means that many acquaintances may ask to do their own work for free or for a very cheap price.
- Many Arab businesses do not really care about design and take it for granted, leading them to cheap agencies that produce very poor designs.
- There is a relatively large initial cost to enter and walk into the domain, especially subscriptions to programs and services (if you want to work perfectly legally).
- Competition is very fierce and the designers are almost ruining their field due to the large number of new designers and the disproportionate supply and demand and therefore prices are often very low.
- The technical aspect of the work means that you may go through periods of “combustion” where the headwaters of your thoughts dry up and find yourself incapable of designing anything.
- It can be particularly frustrating if there is no vision agreement between the designer and the customers, which results in work according to the customer’s specifications, but it is disappointing to the designer.
Things to watch out for in graphic design
If you intend to really work in the design field, a lot of things will be vague and you will need a lot of time to explore them.In many cases you will not benefit from asking others that the experiences of designers are different and often you need to learn from your own experiences. In general, you should pay attention to at least the following:
- It is difficult to set fixed or even quotes according to the hours worked in the design field. Each project and new design is a different experience and a price is often a difficult task.
- It is very common for customers to undervalue work or insult designs to get discounts, you should learn patience here and be careful to avoid customers who do not like your business because the experience is often not satisfactory.
- Prepare a comprehensive experience file that includes a lot of samples that you do either for customers or as a training only and updated all the time so as to avoid customers who want you “free sample to ensure quality.”
- You have to come to terms with the fact that much of your work may be stolen, republished, or even attributed by some to themselves.
- Job offers at presses or design and advertising agencies seem attractive to those looking for a fixed salary, but the experience is often very poor and requires much more work than the amount paid.
- Every designer has a certain tendency and experience focused on more than others, know what your strongest field is, focus on it, know your weaknesses and work to improve them.
In summary, when should you work in design?
As mentioned above, the field of design is aesthetic and creative in the first place, but suffers from the fact that the supply is much larger than the demand, so it usually makes sense to avoid the field unless you are good at it and you have the ability to withstand difficulties and lack of customers in the first period (e.g. At least initially). In general, you should be aware of excessive stress and you should look at your work and try to evaluate it impartially away from being loved by being your own.